This keto chicken pot pie with cheddar biscuits is comfort food at its best. Tender chicken thighs, flaky cheddar biscuits, and a creamy homemade gravy make this the perfect 30-minute dinner for busy weeknights this fall.
If you’re looking for a family-friendly keto recipe that will please everyone from picky eaters to non-keto dieters, then this is the dinner for you.
It’s packed with protein from juicy chicken pieces, colorful vegetables, and healthy fats.
The best part of all? The 3-ingredient cheddar biscuit topping that comes together in one bowl and about 5 minutes of prep.
Flaky Cheddar Biscuits for Keto Chicken Pot Pie
How do you make the flakiest keto biscuits?
The secret is in the bag. NuTrail Keto Cheddar Biscuits have all the cheesy goodness you want to pair with the silky chicken gravy in this pot pie.
All you need to do is combine the biscuit mix with heavy cream and water.
The dough will be light, fluffy, and sticky. Use two large spoons to drop the dough onto a greased baking sheet.
You can shape the biscuits gently for a smooth top and rounded edges if you like, or keep things free-form for a rustic look. Brush the top of each biscuit with a beaten egg to give it a signature golden brown color and shine.
Let the shaped biscuits rest for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before baking until risen, flakey and golden.
Bake the biscuits while you cook up the chicken pot pie filling.
How to Make Creamy Keto Chicken Pot Pie Filling
Despite being a low-carb recipe, this chicken pot pie filling has your standard, homey ingredients. All are easy to find and inexpensive.
You’ll make the creamy gravy with pearl onions, carrots, and celery for crunch and color. Season it with a sprinkle of dried thyme leaves and make the creamy sauce with whole milk and low-sodium chicken broth.
To thicken the sauce and keep things low-carb, sprinkle tapioca starch into the cooking filling, stir it well, then let the mixture simmer for 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and tender and the sauce is thick and creamy.
A note on thinking keto gravy: the typical thickening agents, all-purpose flour or cornstarch, can add more carbs to your dish than are recommended on the keto diet.
That’s why we make our biscuits with keto-friendly flours. And why you should thicken this dish and others with keto substitutes like tapioca starch or coconut flour.
Assembling Homemade Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
If you time things well, your pot pie filling and biscuits can be finished at the exact same time. All that’s left to do is pair the two together and serve up a warm and comforting dish of keto chicken pot pie.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
1 bag NuTrail Keto Cheddar Biscuits
1 cup (8 ounces) heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 egg, beaten well
2 celery stalks, diced
2 carrots, cut into ¼-inch rounds
1 cup pearl onions
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
¼ cup tapioca starch
1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
1 cup whole milk
1 cup frozen peas
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cheddar biscuit mix, 5 ounces of water, and the heavy cream until just combined. Divide the batter into 10 biscuits and shape into balls on the prepared baking sheet. Let the biscuits rest for 5 minutes. Brush with a beaten egg. Bake for 14–20 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the celery, carrots, onion, thyme, and salt and cook until soft, 5–7 minutes. Add the chicken and cook for 3–4 minutes, until browned.
- Stir in the tapioca starch, then add the stock and milk. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the liquid is thickened. Stir in the peas and season to taste.
- Arrange the biscuits on top of the chicken pot pie and serve hot.\
If you’re looking for more delicious low-carb recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, be sure to check out our ever-expanding recipe collection and follow along on Instagram.
NuTrail — Keto Granola, Biscuits, Bread and Baking Mixes
Join our Keto Community on Instagram & Facebook.
Sign up to receive NuTrail emails.